A Legacy of Beauty
The Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation’s signature gift, each year, is Dow Gardens as they share the family estate with the community and its visitors. The first focus of the property, established in 1899, was a homestead. However, Herbert H. Dow began to quickly expand and develop the grounds. Today, the land Dow saw as a creative outlet for his interest in agriculture and design reaches incredible heights through the work of staff and volunteers.
For Herbert H. Dow the Gardens and nature study were his hobby and his passion. Dow Gardens continues the tradition of diffusing knowledge into the region through its many programs and events. Learning opportunities include horticulture, entomology, floriculture as well as history and fine arts.